Thursday 2 November 2017

A Skill Level Far, Far Away

(Originally posted 10/24/17) 

I've been thinking of getting some of the Star Wars kits. The though of owning one was always in the back of my mind whenever I walked into a local hobby store, but in the end, I usually just leave or, more likely, get another Gundam because goddamn it the Battle Droid and STAP needs to be at least 1/6 scale and Bandai is not making it. ​I mean c'mon, hate the prequels all you want but you have to admit that it has some amazing designs:


In all seriousness though, the biggest barrier to the Star Wars line is, like all things, money. Paints don't come cheap, and the Gundam series, especially the Master Grade line, don't require it.

Personally I'm down with just some waterslides and a topcoat of either matte or semi-gloss. Money, however, isn't my biggest barrier to entry. No, my biggest barrier to entry is skill level. Anyone can paint, but painting well, to my preferred standards? That takes time, time which I honestly don't have anymore. Maybe one day I'll be rich enough to just lie back and practice, but for now...


 It's been nearly a month, where is it, Local Hobby Shop?

- Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment