Friday 8 December 2017

A Quick Recipe

Let's talk about what we pass down.

My grandmother has a recipe for baked chicken, which I loved to eat growing up. For the longest time I grew excited when I saw a whole chicken in a baking pan, knowing that the best goddamn food was gonna get cooked.

When I was 19-20 years old, she taught me the recipe for the marinade, and it made me wonder about her other recipes: her garlic shrimp, her adobo chicken and pork, her fried pork. When the inevitable happens, who'll cook 'em? Furthermore, who taught her the recipes?

It's all pointless, really, wondering where it came from. But it did leave me with a wish to preserve at least one recipe. Something to remind me of days-back-when.

So without further ado, the recipe to my grandmother's marinade:


  • Salt
  • Pepper
  • Oyster sauce
  • Knorr Liquid Seasoning
  • Garlic powder
  • Chopped onions
First put the chicken in a baking pan. Thoroughly rub salt on the bird inside and out, but not too much. Then, add pepper and garlic powder, then splash with the seasoning and oyster sauce.

Rub the bird thoroughly inside and out with the marinade, then stuff with onions. Put it in the fridge for at least 6 hours to 2 days.

Specific measurements? Just eyeball it.

- Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment